Wednesday, April 12, 2006

cooking for seven

Been thinking and planning what to get my parents for their 29th wedding anniversary. 29 years of “for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish” *clap clap clap*

When you’re… well if you’re me, you would have to think creatively how to make it a joyous occasion. Since I couldn’t afford anything, and my other siblings are U-S-E-L-E-S-S, I decided to cook them a nice dinner.

I am not a big fan of cooking. I could however prepare edible dishes without causing any casualties. You don’t have to be a genius to learn how to cook. Anyone who can read and understand instructions can cook. So, if you say you can’t cook, you’re just being lazy. Like me. The only difference between us and professional chefs are, we are not as passionate when it comes to cooking. We like eating better. Btw, Mom, cooking skill is NOT a thing every guy looks for in a woman. Ha.

You could get a little creative by replacing or make do with certain ingredients. Just let your taste bud do the magic. Chances are, if it tastes good to you, it will taste good to other people too. Of course, everyone is a critic and there are a few who will shamelessly complain a little too loud. My suggestion is to never cook for this people even when the pork chops are flying.

My mom developed protein allergies about ten years ago and it is a challenge to find dishes that my mom could eat. No dairy. No legumes. No seafood. No eggs. She’s also allergic to a long list of stuff. Something to do with her hormones. It’s not easy for her because she has to give up all her favorite food and other things. When she goes out to functions, she couldn’t eat anything because some people are just insensitive to her problem. She has to be on medication all the time and sometimes even that doesn’t help. All those medication will effect on her in the long run. *sigh*

Anyway, did some research on the internet and I found out there are so many substitutes for things that my mom couldn’t consume. Thank goodness for that. I didn’t know nor would I ever imagine you could use a banana or water + baking soda + oil to replace an egg in a cake recipe. Hee. Anyway, I told her about this and she was skeptical but very very excited. My mom has been craving for cakes for the past ten years!

I just hope I won’t screw everything up.

No comments: