Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Jalan2 cari makan

In my almost 30 years of life, I have not been to many places not only in Sabah but around Kota Kinabalu as well. *head hangs in shame* I cannot explain why but like some or most people, I take those places for granted. You know, it’s there and will always be there and I will get there eventually. Of course, most time that eventually never comes.

I could count all the places I’ve visited in Sabah with my two hands.

Right hand
1. Sandakan – Beluran (my mom’s village, Sandakan town, Sepilok
2. Tenghilan – stayed in a lodge
3. Kiulu – camp by the Kiulu river & camp in one of the school
4. Beaufort – camp in a school / church
5. Papar – stayed in one of the resort

Left hand
1. Tuaran – day trip
2. Kundasang/Ranau – stayed in Bundu Tuhan, Perkasa Hotel (now different name), day trip to Kinabalu Park
3. Kiansom – day trip to Kiansom waterfall
4. Penampang – day trip to one of the rivers – Lutong Mutong, Babagon, overnight at the Sugud waterfall (not sure if this is the one though)
5. Manukan Island – overnight & several day trips

I’m pretty sure that is all the places I’ve visited. I might be wrong because these days my memory fails me miserably.

People always surprise me by telling me of places (especially eating outlets) I’ve never even heard of. I must admit, I never even set foot on the famous ones like Atmosphere. Again, please do not ask me why. I would not be able to tell you.

I have heard of this shop at Sinsuran that sells very good Tom Yam in 2002 and I finally get to taste it three weeks ago. It was really good and I am looking forward for someone to invite me to the same shop to try their other equally well known dishes.

Anyway, some friends were talking about this particular location known for its fresh and cheap seafood, and I was hooked. I LOVE SEAFOOD. I was a bit worried on the location because that particular venue wasn’t known for their cleanliness and I have this thing about hygiene. I found out that many tour guides bring foreigners to this place and they have no problem eating there. So I told myself if the place was good enough for them, then it is good enough for me. True enough, the food was not only good and cheap, the place was very clean too. See, never judge a place by its reputation.

The night stalls are located behind the Philippine market. There are rows of stalls selling varieties of grilled seafood – fish, squid, prawns, crabs, etc. I was also introduced to two types of seaweed, which I tried and didn’t really fancy. At least I tasted it. Now I’m waiting for more invitation to that place. By the way, I have no idea what is that place called.

I miss blogging but it’s difficult for me to even finish one in a day.

No comments: