Sunday, September 14, 2008

Edelweiss

It is always a challenge for me to persuade Ekiel to go to bed every night. Yes, his timing is all screwed up because he sleeps whenever he feels tired and no, I am not one of those mothers who train their children to sleep, play or eat at a certain time. I wasn’t brought up that way and I think I turn out just fine, of course there are minor things I will do differently with Ekiel. *winks*

Last night was one of those nights. I could barely open my eyes. Hoping to lull him, I hummed Edelweiss, one of those songs I’ve been humming to him since he was in my tummy. Thinking he was asleep because he was so quiet, I was surprised to hear sobbing in the middle of the night. Poor Ekiel was sobbing his heart out.

Maybe it was my bad humming *whistles* but he always had that connection with this song for some reason. It is a first time for him to cry when he hear this song.

I asked him what was wrong but he cried even more.

Me: Why Ekiel cry?
Ekiel: I’m sad
Me: Why Ekiel sad?
Ekiel: Because mommy don’t give me present

Yes, people. He knows how to play mind games with me.

Me: I just bought you the alphabet thingy kan?
Ekiel: I want handphone got game
Me: Handphone? Heh? I already say kan, no handphone but if you can memorize your ABC before Christmas, I will get you the toy computer you want that day
Ekiel: I not pandai
Me: Learn larr

He kept quiet.

Ekiel: Mommy, you know I sad
Me: Why again this?
Ekiel: Because you sing Edelweiss
Me: So?
Ekiel: I sad larr

I still don’t know why he cried. I google-ed the song in the Internet and it confirms what I know about the song. Edelweiss, a white flower found high in the Alpine hills. I also found this:

At a United Methodist Women's Conference, revised lyrics for the song were handed out with instructions stating that the benediction was to be sung to the tune of "Edelweiss".

Modified (Benediction) lyrics
"May the Lord, mighty God,
bless, preserve you and keep you.
Give you peace, perfect peace,
courage in every endeavor.
Lift up your eyes and see His face,
and His grace forever.
May the Lord, mighty God,
bless, preserve you and keep you!"


He still gets upset when I tell anyone about him and Edelweiss. He just doesn’t want to talk about it anymore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hehehe funny nya..he wants handphone??? wah wah wah...hebat kanak kanak sekarang ye...

guess u have to find new song for him then...cepat juga dia besar kan..maybe u pitching la clara...hahaha...