Tuesday, October 19, 2010

the flapjack experiment

I am not a great cook. In fact, I would not call myself a good cook. I can cook without sending anyone to the emergency room. And to me, that is an achievement. Once in a while, I do have these weird urges to cook something. I’d go in the net, look for the simplest dish and happily slave myself in the kitchen.

Since I do not have the ‘gift’, I tend to follow the recipe word for word. Sometimes I wonder if those people really enjoy their food that salty/sweet.

The other day, I read an article in Y! about a dad who creates artistic pancakes for his daughter. When I say artistic, I meant 3D ferris-wheel, aeroplanes pancakes.

I oohed and ahhed when I develop this craving for pancakes.

My parents were out of town last weekend, so the timing to make the pancakes was perfect. Perfect because my mom is not there to comment every single thing I do in the kitchen.

I got the recipe from the net. There are plenty to choose from and I picked the easiest one of course. I like allrecipes dot com because they have automatic recipe calculator, which calculates the ingredients based on the servings. Bought the needed ingredients because we are still at the ‘temp’ house and I don’t know where everything is.

Sunday morning, I woke up early to make pancakes. Or Flapjacks as Ekiel calls them.

To make 18 servings, because there were six of us and each will have 3 pieces, I sifted 3 cups of wheat flour, 2 tbsp & 1¾ tsp of baking powder, 2 ¼ tsp of salt and 2 tbsp & ¾ tsp of sugar.

Then I added in 2¾ cups & 1 tbsp of milk, 2 eggs and ⅓ cup & 1tbp & 1tsp of melted butter. I should have replaced the melted butter with vegetable oil instead because it was SUPER salty.

Mixed them well.

I pour the batter on a frying pan with medium high fire. It doesn’t take long to prepare them but to cook 18 servings, well, 18 servings bah. So some turned out a little burned.

The pancakes turn out well except for the saltiness. After the first one, I added in some sugar to balances the taste. I know you’re supposed to eat pancakes with syrups or some sort, but the only thing we have at home is pineapple jam, which didn’t turn out too well. There’s honey but I don’t fancy honey. My brother used the sweetened condensed milk and that turn out better.

Next time, I’ll try it with peanut butter. I heart peanut butter.

So here you go people. If I can make pancakes, so can you.

Ekiel loves flapjacks!

No comments: