Tuesday, January 17, 2012

marriage and babies


To an almost 7-year old, the world is simple.
Man meet woman. Fall in love. Get married. Have kids. Live happily ever after.
So when things didn’t work out that way, they would innocently question the whys.

The day I dreaded arrived not so gracefully.
We were having our nightly ‘talk’ when he whispered to me.
“Mommy, who did you marry?”
My heart literally sank.
“Why?” I asked.
“People get married and have children. So since you gave birth to me, who did you marry?”

I, Clara Lim, actually pretended to sleep and ignored the question.

And because he is my son who inherited my stubbornness, he asked me the question again few days later. This time I distracted him with something on TV.

By now, I can tell when he is about to jump into this topic. Like the other night. I quickly change the topic when he suddenly starts talking about marriage and babies. I have never been more thankful for his short attention span.

For a boy his age, he is sure thinking about this a great deal.

I had 7 years to think about this and yet I have come up with no solution. Maybe I should use the ‘seed story’ like in the movie, The Switch.

Either way, I need to come up with a solution quick. 

No comments: