Tuesday, April 19, 2011

REALity TV

It's that time of the year again people where everyone becomes a critic and the never ending argument about who should stay and who should pack their bags and go.

There is something about reality TV that everyone loves.

I have no complaint about the AI10. Each contestant bring a different flavour to the show and damn they can sing. At the end of the day, it is a personality contest and I was not surprised when Pia was out. During the 'Mariah & Whitney's era, she would be perfect but at this 'century', the crowd wants Lady Gaga, Rihanna and Katy Perry.

We, well at least I do, champion songs that celebrates individuality, saying what we think out loud and standing up for ourselves.

We no longer want to say sing sad ballads; I'd die if you leave me. Hell no. We now say, boo hoo so what?

Now, Scotty is an entirely different story. When was the last time you hear someone with that kind of voice? I'm not a big fan of country music, but I love when they boy starts singing. Throw in some good manners and a charming smile, all the mothers wishes him as their son in law. He is a rare species like that.

However, it is slightly different here no? Our reality TV is a confusing mess. I keep asking myself, 'Is this is the best among the thousands who came for audition?' The whole 2 hours, there was not a single performance where I did not cringe while watching.

There's also that silly twist they add in hoping to make it 'interesting'. Please larr. It's just a plot to make more 'ka-ching'.

It's so Marketing101.

Why didn't they select that four, though I only see one, talented vocals earlier? Vocals: tick. Physical package: tick. They are even better looking and better singer than the existing students.

So very the drama one but I guess that's our culture kan?

Everything is exaggerated.

No comments: