Friday, February 02, 2007

My acting debut part 1

I handled a media group for the time the other day.
I am so proud of myself. *clap clap clap* *pats own shoulder*
Despite the few screw-ups HE made, it went pretty smoothly.

Btw, They’re TV crews from Japan’s public TV network, NHK. They’re here to shoot for a TV program that teaches the Japanese basic Bahasa Malaysia. It’s kinda cool but as a Malaysian, I find it WAY too formal. I mean, who the hell talks like that? I know I know, newscasters! Hee. Besides, the grammar was bad and some sentences didn’t make sense. "If you condition worsen and you got a disease, just say "I’m sick!" – translated version. But who am I to judge? Out loud that is.

Their scheduled to shoot at the Manukan Island. The weather made me nervous. The sky looked as if it was ready for a battle and it drizzled for a while. Although I am not responsible for the weather, but it was their last day in town so they had to do the shoot or none at all. If they were not so damn excited about the shoot, I wouldn’t feel so sorry for them especially when they’ve already postponed the shoot on Monday because of the rain.

Despite the gloomy weather, the boat operator announced that they are going ahead with the boat transfers to the islands. *yay* While the TV crew shot the harbor and the boats, I stood at the side and worry how am I going to survive the journey with my fear of drowning and fear of wooden bridges, platform, etc. Yes, I imagine the wooden bride will just collapse because I am a whale and then I will drown and die because I am a whale who can’t swim. *shudders*

Since the Japanese crews don’t speak any English (but I am pretty sure they could), I try to get out of their way but still within reach in case they need something like accompanying them back to the hotel because they forgot to bring extra batteries for their camera. It was a less than five-minute walk, so it wasn’t so bad. There was a translator with them so there wasn’t much of communication problem. It was weird though when they would just talk to me in Japanese. I would just nod and smile. Most time I do get what they’re saying because they are very expressive with their facial expressions, hand movements and body language.

Oh, I am not sure how it happened, but the trainee (yes, I dragged her to accompany me!) and I ended up as extras, UNPAID extras in the TV show. How can I tell them no when the guest keeps curtsying at me while the translator tells me they need our (the trainee & I) help to make the scene more lively. *Erkk* Same thing happened to me in my previous workplace. If I look anything like Jessica Alba, I wouldn’t mind so much. Oh well.

Our first shot was to act all tourist-sy, get into the boat and enjoy the boat ride from the harbor to the island. I felt like a turtle with the life jacket on and my hair was all over the place because I forgot to bring my hair clip with me. The boat ride was a little bumpy because of the wind, but I managed not to freak out because I was more worried about the photographer. He was on his two feet with the camera on his shoulder. Every time the boat hit the bigger wave, he will lose his balance. He nearly falls flat on his back together with his camera but thank goodness the boat crew was quick to grab him. *applauds the boat crew*

The moment we land on the island, they start shooting again. The host was supposed to get a little seasick and the island crew will tell her to rest for a while. While they shoot, some of the island crews and I stood and watch when it started to drizzle again. We went to the nearest shed and took cover. While they shoot another scene, I took my time to enjoy the glorious view of the sea.

It has been 12 years since I last visit the island. Although I am afraid of drowning, I have always loved the sea. I feel so alive despite me being just a tiny dot in a world of many possibilities. With the never-ending (blue) sky and sea, there is no way I am destined for shitty life/luck. Of course, my life remains the same no matter how long I stand under the sun. BUT in that few moments of possibilities, those moments where my Ifs could come true, I would feel really good and the feeling will last for the whole day.

Anyway, the next shot was the water activity shot. The sun decided to come out and play during THAT entire shot so we were standing under the hot sun. The trainee was smart enough to use the umbrella given to us (when it started to drizzle) so I shamelessly stood next to her. I rather get sunburn than to carry that huge umbrella. *whistles* Btw, I must say one of the instructor for that water scooter thingy whose name I will not reveal just in case his friends is reading this and I do not want to feel so shy, his body was delicious. He wasn’t bad looking too. A little short for my taste but who cares when he got abs like that. *drools*

The next shot they took is the BBQ. Imagine my horror when they want us to act the eating scene. Sure I love to eat but not when I have cameras in my face. It was funny too because there was no script, but we have to act like we’re all excited about the food. The other unfortunate extra (a male crew from the island) was so comical I wanted to laugh out loud but obviously I cannot do so. I try to eat as "graceful" *ahem ahem* as I can. The cameraman and photographer seem to be fascinated with the way I eat as they took a lot of shot of me (compared to the actual talent or the other extras) eating and licking my fingers. In my defense, there wasn’t any napkin and the sauce was dripping. I chose to lick my fingers instead of wiping them on the tablecloth because that would be very gross. Don’t ask me why I didn’t ask for a napkin. Maybe I didn’t want to interrupt the shoot. *sticks tongue out* Now everyone in Japan will think I am a pig. Great. *snorts*

* this is getting too long. So to be continued...

No comments: