Monday, August 24, 2009

Satu Malaysia

I was channel surfing on Sunday because there wasn’t anything interesting to watch. On a Sunday. Nothing to watch. Go figure. So I settled for the most decent show, the Digi Top 20. My mind drifted between the show and Lala Land when something the host said in one of her skit caught my attention.

N: Blah blah blah… Malaysia… blah blah blah… three races… Malay, Chinese and Indian… blah blah blah

No, I am pretty sure she did not mention about majority races or anything. I just don’t remember the exact words. So much for 1Malaysia huh? *winks*

Now, don’t get me wrong, I have no whatsoever issues with it. I just didn’t think anyone would make that statement anymore. Not with the efforts by the government, organizations and advertisers to ensure the East Malaysians are not left behind. It’s always the five ethnic groups; Malays, Chinese, Indian, Iban and Kadazan (though I’m pretty sure almost all Malaysian still could not figure out which ethnic comes from which state). It’s funny really. Go see the government schools’ text and work book. You’ll see what I mean.

With everyone preaching about 1Malaysia, I just never thought I’ll hear in on television. Fair enough it is not a National network. Oh well.

1Malaysia. How interesting is that?

I met a certain Malay “Datuk” from KL recently who shared a rather colourful view of KL people. He pointed out that Sabahan is what 1Malaysia is about. In KL when a non-Muslim drinks alcohol in front of a Muslim, it is considered as being disrespectful. However, when “they” eat beef in front of a Hindu, they never see themselves as being disrespectful of another religion. In Sabah, people just accept each other and don’t make a fuss over things like that.

I looked at the Datuk wide-eyed and gave him my I-Don’t-Know-How-To-Response-To-That-Remark smile.

Maybe he’s right. Maybe he’s not.
He is entitled to his own opinion kan?

Is Sabah a real representation of 1Malaysia? As a Sino chick, I am constantly bombarded with prejudice statements from people who assume it is okay to bash the other half of me. Very 1Malaysia indeed.

There is always that fine line between respect and not giving a s**t.
I just hope it’s all about the former.

I suppose in some ways Sabahan is 1Malaysia, but we should never let it get to our head for the obvious reason.

How are you spending your Merdeka Day? I’m planning to glue myself in front of the TV and watch the Merdeka specials in Discovery about the achievements of Malaysia. I want to see Anthony Bourdain getting himself inked with the Iban flower on his shoulder. I do hope it is that episode.

No comments: